Micro Weddings are IN, they are cute and they are so much better for the planet!
What’s the difference between a micro wedding and an elopement?
Micro or small scale weddings have a guest count of 30-50 people and the order of events is similar to those at a regular wedding.
Elopements are considered under 10 people and the affair is usually planned under the radar (and not far ahead of time).
Having an eco-friendly micro wedding lets you celebrate with your nearest and dearest, and enables you to spend more money on the things you love – farm to table food, organic wine, and local products – and less money on people you don’t even know that well. Seems like a good deal right?
When searching for an eco-friendly wedding venue in Toronto, there are many factors to be considerate of: how many people does the space accommodate, are there any noise restrictions past a certain time, is it wheelchair accessible, is there parking and the list goes on….
As an eco-friendly event planner I have traveled around the city viewing hundreds of venues and asking what types of sustainable practices these spaces have in place. Now the game has changed again: what venues are still open after being hit with a global pandemic and do they offer flexible small scale or micro wedding packages?
Beware of venues stating they are eco-friendly because they recycle and compost. Although this is a great practice, it does not mean that they are eco-friendly.
Things to look for and ask for when assessing the green practices of a venue (even during COVID-19) ~
• willingness to omit as much plastic as possible from the event
• the use of eco-friendly cleaning products
• the use of eco friendly dry cleaning for all linens & napkins
• refraining from the use of plastic straws and plastic water bottles
• the use of LED light bulbs
If they have in-house catering ~
• sourcing of local food (farm to table concept)
• do they grow their own herbs
• refrains from covering food in plastic wrap (towels or beeswax wrap instead)
• have the proper compost & recycling measures in place
• is signed up or is willing to sign up for a Second Harvest program called FoodRescue.ca
These are my top 5 recommendations for eco-friendly venues that host amazing micro weddings in Toronto; they all have a micro-wedding package in place or are very willing to accommodate small scale weddings. Need a eco-friendly wedding planner to guide you through your journey? Eco-friendly weddings are our specialty here at Perrier Planning!